A new generation of technology has created an easier way to communicate. More communication tools, like Skype and Whatsapp are used to make our correspondence more convenient. However, emailing those you need to contact is still considered one of the best ways to contact others. This being, because today’s world is filled with people who are always busy and on the go. People also need a secure way to communicate.
Even though email is one of the best ways to contact others, spam has become a major problem. Study shows, that 70% of emails sent daily, are considered spam by the receivers. There has been an estimation showing that spam emails of over 100 billion are sent on a regular basis. However, we are going to let you know how to drive higher traffic as well as find an effective way to avoid spam mail.
Who is Your Target Audience?
Your focus should be the large potential market of prospects if you are managing an email marketing campaign. Knowing your target audience is important, because generic blasts can destroy your marketing campaign online. This is why it is important to know your target audience, before taking a step to make an investment. Your campaign can be a success by:
- Identifying demographics
- Having knowledge of the cultural background of your target market
- Taking charge of the demand of your niche market
- Obtaining knowledge about the buyer’s likes, dislikes, and necessities
Your email will be considered junk mail, if your recipients can not understand the content in your email. Thus, knowing your target audience will help you deliver more efficient proposals.
Creating a marketing persona can help with the impression of your recipients. An example of marketing persona would be if someone wants to promote rock music instead of another genre of music. Understanding your customers’ likes, dislikes, and needs, will help create a marketing persona.
Accumulation of Relevant Data
Tons of information can be collected if you obtain your potential and existing customers’ database. After collecting this information, you will be able to get an idea of what your audience wants. Whether it involves their habits, behavior, geographic location as well as other things that helps you focus on your target audience, the ideas will come to you as to what makes them your target audience.
Keeping as much information as possible about your target audience in your database is a very good idea. It is also good to keep data identifying your email marketing campaign, Effectiveness in reaching your target audience is key while collecting data.
Using Email Data Segmentation Effectively
Optimizing emails is not something that can be finished in a short amount of time. To get the best result for email segmentation for your marketing campaign, then you will have to work on your analysis and iteration. Understanding market shift and consumer preferences are very important and your strategy will have to be prepared according to these two things during the process.
Email marketing basics should not be forgotten while using segmentation. Even though content is a very important part of marketing, you should also maintain focus on presentation and the aesthetics. With this focus, you will notice a higher drive in traffic as well as an increase in open rates.
Tips To Avoid Spam Filters When Doing Email Marketing
- Pay Attention to Technicalities
- Use a recognizable sender name
- Choose a reliable ESP – Email Service Providers
- Get a certificate by a third party
- Check if you are a blacklisted sender
- Test your emails before sending them
- Always be up-to-date with spam filters technology, ISP practices and anti-spam law
- Keep email lists clean
- Never, ever buy email lists!
- Remove hard bounces from your mailing lists
- Pay attention to the dormant subscribers
- Ask for the subscription twice
- Respect the unsubscribers
- Take good care of the subject lines
- DON’T SHOUT AT PEOPLE
- Stay away from spam trigger words
- Don’t make false promises
- Take good care of the email body
- Avoid rich media content
- Avoid embedding forms
- Avoid including attachments
- Tone down the fonts and colors
- Cut back on the images
- Make sure your images display correctly
- Offer both plain text and HTML
- Correct spelling and grammar
- Make it easy to unsubscribe
- Take care of the follow-up
You will unfortunately, find there is no guarantee your emails will not land in spam. With brutal anti-spam, ISP, and ESP laws, you will not have a guide to help with delivery issues.
Along with cleaning email lists and paying close attention to technical issues, you can preserve your credibility. Following up with the sender in a timely manner, also provides you with a sender reputation as well as protects your IP address and keeps your domain from being blacklisted.
While spam is considered everything, but solid, I would love to hear your opinion or hear about any experiences and comments. So please feel free to comment.
Note: This post was updated in 2017 to ensure all best practices for avoiding spam filters are up-to-date for email marketers.